Heroes are new characters introduced in Actraiser Renaissance. Each realm has their own hero, whose personal quest is a part of each realms' growth and story line. Each hero has their own Legendary Chronicles scrolls which increase their level, up to the cap of level 20.
During Settlement Raids, each Hero can be manually directed around the map, and proper hero positioning is an important part of tactics. Certain heroes are effective against certain types of monsters and can make up for Fortification deficiency; indeed, most heroes function like a portable Fortification of their type. Note that heroes can only be directed; their actions and targets are self-determined. In battle, each hero builds up a power gauge, like a limit break. When the bar is full, they'll automatically perform an attack capable of mass damage. Each hero also possesses a passive close-range aura with additional effects.
When a Settlement Raid starts, each realm will start with their own hero already deployed. As enemies are killed, a summon gauge will raise. When the gauge is full, a hero from another realm (whom must have given their summon stone to the Master in their own realm) can be summoned. Summoning the right hero for the right battle is often vital to surviving these raids. If a resident hero is defeated in combat, they will self-revive after a short time (unless a loss condition is the defeat of said hero, in which case the defense immediately fails! Check your objectives before sending a hero into the fray!), whereas summoned heroes will need to be re-summoned if they are defeated.
A key factor in using a hero wisely is to recognize what monsters they're best against. The magicians (Daniella and Shemaal) are all but useless against enemies with magical defense (recognized by a flashing hexagonal bubble around the enemy), but are very effective against grouped enemies without magical defense. Physical/ranged heroes (Alonso and Taia) are especially effective against flying enemies that melee heroes (Philotas and Migrana) can't reach.
- Philotas: Hero of Fillmore. Physical melee fighter. Functions like a Gatehouse. Increases attack power of allied units and forts.
- Daniella: Heroine of Bloodpool. Magical ranged caster. Functions like a Magehouse. Reduces damage taken by allied units and forts.
- Alonso: Hero of Kasandora. Physical ranged gunner. Functions like a Blockhouse. Increases range of allied units and forts.
- Migrana: Heroine of Aitos. Physical melee fighter. Functions like a Gatehouse. Increases attack speed of allied units and forts.
- Shemaal: Hero of Marahna. Magical ranged caster. Functions like a Magehouse. Restores HP of allied units and forts over time.
- Taia: Heroine of Northwall. Physical ranged archer. Functions like a Blockhouse. Increases potency of bonus effects provided by allied units and forts.